Wednesday, July 10, 2013

National Youth Gathering Post 3

I can't remember my days anymore, like what occurred on what day so here is a mish-mash of stuff we did. 

Tuesday we went to a local Mercado and souvenirs were bought up. 


Most of the men bought nacho libre face masks. 


Wednesday we had a 30 minute slot to pack food for starving people around the world. in that 30 minutes we packed about 200 sets of meals. They played really good music the whole time and we kept yelling at each other to move faster. Salt, peas, rice, and dried veggies were a flyin' everywhere. SO MUCH FUN! 



Kids can exhibit the coolest of circus talents. For example, this one went from this crab position...


...straight into a handstand never letting her feet hit the ground! 

After the mass event the frito banditos headed off, at a brisk pace, to the hoe down night life event that evening..
...where they were complete gentlemen dancing with girls they just met. I love Texas. 


This was Thursday...4th of July! 

The youth put a cross together and I got video of the beginning. it didn't take them long to figure it out. Smart kids that have been together for years. My favorite line from the video is, "...there is nothing to be confused about". Kids? So honest with each other. 




At the mass event water was passed around and we anointed one another with a cross on the forehead, giving face to face recognition that "you are new, live loved". 


The city of San Antonio had a great fireworks show that felt like it was just for us. The big joke was that it was so nice of the city to use their fireworks budget for us since they couldn't use it when the Spurs lost. Har-har. If I cared about basketball maybe I would have laughed more.




It was a long day and boy lemme tell ya, our feet stank. That whole evening until we could rotate in and out of the shower we kept warning each other not to "smell me feet". 


One more day to cover and I'll be sad to no longer report on it. What a cool week!!