At the event was a fellow that is well known in this circle, the Jesus Painter. He puts on a ten to twenty minute show of painting on a huge canvas while a calm voiced narrator talks about a bible story and applying it to real life.
Do you see Jesus' face? Bam!! Cool.
Then soon after he whipped up this creation, he started work on the finished product shown below. Churches and attendees all over the country buy his work for home and church. He also sells prints. Check out his site with videos here.
Pastor told us he was a Jesus painter as well. We were at Hard Rock Cafe on the River Walk and he grabbed a coaster and the mustard and went to work.
Not 2 minutes later we had a mustard Jesus. I can see him.
Our pastor leads the way on how we handle the youth group. It's pretty laid back by my standards. But this shows that he trusts the high schoolers. He calls them out when necessary. He never puts them down but simply points out their mistake and asks them to correct it. It made for a very loving, easygoing time. I took the lead from the existing youth leaders and they from pastor. I learned a lot and can't wait till next time, 3 years from now in New Orleans! I hope I can go.
Next trip though will be in September with the 7th and 8th grade confirmation crew. I think I can handle a bunk bed. I'm still relatively childless. So bring it, kids! I am excited to get to hang out with a new batch of St John Youth! The fall will be so much more rewarding after our trips.